Monday, December 26, 2011

Real-life testimonial: CPAP machine user converts to new, oral appliance for treatment of sleep apnea

“Dear Dr. Blumenstock:

As someone who has struggled with coronary artery disease, sleep apnea and chronic snoring for over several years, I write to express my deepest gratitude for equipping me with an oral repositioning appliance. It is truly a godsend and the clinical results have already far exceeded my hopes and expectations.

As you are aware, following triple bypass surgery in May, 2006 and a subsequent stent for a collapsed graft, my longstanding sleep apnea became an even more serious concern and threat to my health. For the second time, I tried in earnest to adapt to a CPAP machine. Struggling for weeks and never being able to keep the mask on, or adapt to that mode of treatment, I had given up on any effective means of treating the sleep apnea. It was then that I discovered you and your services at Central Jersey Dental.

As you introduced me to the potential benefits of wearing a dental device as a means of treating sleep apnea, I must confess that I was initially somewhat skeptical. But, after only a few weeks of using the device and experiencing its benefits, I am a true "convert!" My wife became immediately (and gratefully!) aware that all snoring had ceased. Consequently, we can now both sleep in the same bed with total comfort. Within days, I was also aware of better energy and less daytime sleepiness (particularly in the afternoons); what a blessing that has become. But, perhaps most important of all, I have watched my blood pressure reduce approx. 10-12 points - both diastolic and systolic.

Needless to say, my cardiologist and primary care physician are delighted with this development and assure me that it bodes extremely well in curbing further cardiac disease and enhancing my longevity. While I cannot say enough for these clinical enhancements in my life, I also want to take this opportunity to share my deep appreciation for the many ways you and your staff have treated me as a "whole person" throughout this process, continually providing helpful education, personal care and emotional support in introducing me to this invaluable new intervention and treatment.

If I can ever be of any help in "coaching" or supporting other patients as they are introduced to the oral repositioning device, please do not hesitate to call upon me. Again, many thanks for introducing me to this invaluable, effective means of treating sleep apnea and for your ongoing care.”


- Rev. Donald Stiger
Somerset, NJ